If you are experiencing higher than normal water bills, you could have a water leak in your plumbing system. Your plumbing leak could be from an old toilet that consumes too much water while flushing or maybe even a dripping faucet that is suffering from sealant failure. There are a number of places that a leak can appear, the key is to catch the leak quickly and not wait to fix it.
Steinhorst Plumbing wants you to be prepared and aware so we have put together a quick tip sheet on checking if you have a leak in your plumbing system.
- Turn off all of the water to your home.
- Locate your water meter and look for a yellow or red triangle or circle. If they are spinning that is an indicator that you have a leak in your pipes. That piece is called the leak indicator because it shows water flow when there should be none.
- Locate the main shutoff valve and close it. Caution: Open and close this valve slowly. This valve may not have been opened or closed for years, and there is typically high water pressure coming into the home. Turning this valve off will cut all the water supply to your house and should stop anything from moving on the water meter. This will shut off any inbound water flow into the home.
- If are still seeing movement on your water meter, then your shutoff valve is most likely broken. Call Steinhorst Plumbing as soon as possible to get this problem fixed. In case of an emergency you will not be able to shut off the water going into your home and could suffer from flood or water damage to your home due to a faulty shutoff valve.
- When the valve is in the OFF position, turn on a faucet in your home to see if there is any water running.
- If the leak indicator is still moving, and the valve is working properly, then there is a leak between the meter and customer side. At this point you should call Steinhorst Plumbing. Suggest that the plumber checks the main shutoff valve even if it’s operational to be double save and assure its not nearing a breaking point.
Leaks in plumbing systems cost Americans millions of dollars every year. Fixing plumbing leaks is one of the fastest ways to save money on your monthly bills.